July 31, 2011

GILDA

As a second generation viewer of Gilda (1946) you might be more familiar with Rita Hayworth's flick from the film The Shawshank Redemption (1994).  Inmates Red and Andy get some jailhouse relief:

watch here.

Stephen King's original short story about prison escapism is actually called 'Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption'.

Shawshank might be in many a 'top 10' list but I could not more promptly recommend a viewing of Gilda.  This sharp and dark film noir, comic whilst tragic, has more twists than Rita's bob.  It has love, murder, nazis, gambling, the hardest and fastest dialogue since... the Nazis, and did I mention Rita Hayworth?

'There is not a single pleasant character in this rather grim and sordid picture... it leaves such an unwholesome taste in the mouth.'
Monthly film Bulletin, April 1946.

Now showing at the National Film Theatre.
BFI link





1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Rita Hayworth! I have done since I was tiny watching Cover girl and her films with Fred Astaire over and over again.
    "They go to bed with Gilda, they wake up with me."

    ReplyDelete